Staff Professional Development Fund
Advancing individual strengths and collective contributions of our staff leaders are essential to the success, transformation, and sustainability of the Pamplin College of Business. To fulfill our mission, the Staff Professional Development Fund (SPDF) is an effort to encourage workplace excellence through continous learning, training, and development.
To receive funding for pre-approved professional development opportunities, an applicant must meet the staff eligibility requirements and adhere to the following guidelines:
- Pamplin College of Business (PCOB) staff who have twelve or more months of regular, continuous service are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be committed to supporting the mission, vision, and core values of PCOB.
- Applicants must complete an application, detailing relevant goals and how the professional development opportunity will add value to those goals.
- If the desired opportunity includes a selection process, applicants must have been accepted/selected prior to applying for funding.
- Applicants must secure written approval and support from their departmental supervisor
Eligible events/activities: Conferences, workshops, symposiums, seminars, webinars, online workshop/course (non-credit), etc.
Ineligible events/activities: Virginia Tech courses offered through the Educational Assistance and Fee Waiver program, professional certification and licensing fees, membership fees for professional associations/organizations/clubs, software or software licensing, etc.
Approval of events/activities outside that categories listed above will be decided at the discretion of the SPDF committee.
Applicants must submit the following documents to be considered for funding:
- Completed application form.
- Published material(s) that provide a description of the professional development event/activity requested.
- Please note any additional funding provided by other sources.
- Written approval and support from departmental supervisor, including a statement committing to match funds, if applicable
The applicant should provide the completed application and all supporting documentation at least one month before the funds are required to allow for review, deliberation, and processing of requests.
Deadline: New applications are due on the following dates for 2021:
- February 15, 2021
- April 15, 2021
- July 15, 2021
- September 15, 2021
- November 15, 2021
Review: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis by a multi-discipline, cross-college committee.
Selection Process: The SPDF committee reviews all completed applications. An individual employee’s use of the SPDF is limited to $300.00 in any fiscal year. The committee may choose to limit an individual cost center/department at any time during the fiscal year. An important factor in granting awards will be the potential benefits to the employee, department, and college. The employee’s department must be committed to matching funds for opportunities external to the university. There is no departmental matching requirement for university-hosted initiatives. Approved funds will be transferred to the employee’s department to offset reimbursement. Record of completion is required.
Awards: Communication of each award is emailed to the recipient and departmental supervisor, approximately two weeks before the application deadline. Upon approval, recipient will receive instructions on how funds will be transferred and information on how to submit a record of completion.
For more information, contact: Janice Branch Hall – Director of Diversity & Inclusion at firstname.lastname@example.org