Virginia Tech®home

Frequently Asked Questions

The College of Business is in the process of discontinuing the ECON business major.  The lastopportunity students will have to change to ECON or add ECON as a second major will be during the December/January change major period (12/19/2016-1/27/2017).  Students currently pursuing the ECON major must complete all degree requirements by May 2022.  The Economics science degree will continue to be available.

First, consider meeting with your instructor to go over your quizzes and tests and get help in the areas you do not understand.  The accounting fraternity, Beta Alpha Psi, usually provides group tutoring 1 to 2 nights prior to each test.  Ask your professor for details and check your email (BUSINFO). 

Second, you can get general study skills help in the Student Success Center located in 110 Femoyer Hall.  They also offer free tutoring.  Check their website for more information.  Cook Counseling Center, located in 240 McComas Hall, has online study skills workshops and guides.  The topics and workshops are listed on their website

Third, if you feel you cannot bring your grade up, you can drop the class before the drop deadline.  The deadline is usually about 6 weeks into the semester and is always listed on the academic calendar.  To drop a class, go to HokieSpa and click on “Registration & Schedule”.  Please see your advisor before you drop a class.

Finally, if you have withdrawal credits available, you can apply the “W” grade policy.  Keep in mind that you can only apply a “W” for three courses in your time at Virginia Tech.  Be sure to review the academic calendar for the deadline.  It is usually the last day of classes for the semester (before Reading Day).  You will need to complete the “Request to Apply the “W” Policy” form, which you can get in 1046 Pamplin Hall or on our website .  Then you need to schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor to discuss the pros and cons of using the withdrawal, as well as your plan for re-taking the course.  Finally, your advisor will sign the form, which should be turned into the Undergraduate Programs Office in 1046 Pamplin Hall.

Consider applying the “W” grade policy, which allows you to withdraw from up to three courses throughout your time at Virginia Tech.  The deadline to withdraw from a course is usually the last day of classes for the semester (before Reading Day).

First, you will need to complete the Late Course Withdrawal, which you can get in 1046 Pamplin Hall or on our website.  Then you need to schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor on our scheduling website to discuss the pros and cons of using the withdrawal, as well as your plan for re-taking the course.  Finally, your advisor will sign the form, which should be turned into the Undergraduate Programs Office in 1046 Pamplin Hall.

You must have credit for the class in order to meet the degree requirements in business.  However, you could request Credit by Exam (CBE).  Each department determines whether they will offer credit by exam.  The math department does offer CBE the first week of the semester.  You should contact the department directly for their procedure.  Often departments will have the student take the final exam and receive a specified grade to be awarded CBE.

There is a fee of $10.00 per credit hour, which could change.  There is also a limit of 12 hours which can be taken as CBE.

If you have three or more exams within 24 hours or conflicting exams due to a common time exam, complete the
Exam Change form available in 1046 Pamplin Hall or on our website.

The form requires that you obtain the signature of the faculty member(s) willing to let you take their exam at a time other than scheduled.  When you complete the form, turn it in to the Undergraduate Programs Office in 1046 Pamplin Hall.  Once your request is approved, you will be notified to pick up the form in 1046 Pamplin Hall.  Many faculty members will require that you provide them with the approved form before you can take the exam at a different time. Please check the academic calendar for the exam change deadline.

If you were enrolled in at least 12 hours last semester, then you made the Dean’s List.  Any student who earns at least a 3.40 for either the fall or spring semester is on the Dean’s List.  There is no Dean’s List for summer sessions.

You and your parent or guardian will get a letter from Dean Sumichrast in recognition of your excellent semester.  All students who made the Dean’s List for the previous semester will be listed on the University’s Awards Page.  In addition, the university sends announcements to each Dean’s List student’s daily and weekly community newspapers, if the student has a permanent address on file.  Students who request that personal information be withheld in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 cannot be included in this recognition program.

Midterm grades are issued to all first semester freshmen and transfer students.  If your instructor determined that you have a grade of C or better, then your midterm grade is “S” for satisfactory.  If your grade is C- or lower, the grade is “U” for unsatisfactory.  Midterm grades help you to evaluate where you stand in classes and get the help you need to improve your grade in any classes with a “U” grade.  The midterm grade is not part of your permanent record.  It is only shown on HokieSpa for limited period of time. It is intended to be an early indicator of academic progress. Students are urged to visit with their instructors and advisors to discuss any unsatisfactory results.

There is a process called “Force Add,” in which some departments can override the capacity of the class listed on the Timetable of Classes.  Some departments do not accept force add requests.  For example, the ECON department does not force add anyone into Principles of Economics (ECON 2005-2006). To get into this class, you will have to keep looking for an open seat in the Timetable of Classes.

The process for requesting a force add varies from one department to another but no force adds are processed after the last day to add a class.  Within Pamplin departments, the process varies.  ACIS, BIT, FIN, HTM, MGT, and MKTG conduct their force add requests online through their departmental websites.  For all other departments on campus, check their website first to see if they have an online system or instructions.  If no information is available, then contact the department directly.

Please be aware that submitting a force add request does not guarantee that you will be enrolled in the course.

Policy 91 outlines university-wide minimum criteria to ensure students are making satisfactory progress towards the completion of their degrees.  Pamplin Undergraduate Programs fully supports this policy.  Specific expectations for satisfactory progress for Pamplin majors are outlined here:

  1. Be enrolled in a degree-granting program prior to attempting 72 credits
  2. Completion of the nine lower division business courses (ACIS 1504, ACIS 2115-2116, BIT 2405-2406, ECON 2005-2006, and MATH 1525-1526 (or equivalents) with a final grade of C- or better.
  3. Completion of the nine lower division business courses (ACIS 1504, ACIS 2115-2116, BIT 2405-2406, ECON 2005-2006, and MATH 1525-1526 (or equivalents) by 72 attempted hours. Transfer students (from another institution or a major outside Pamplin) must complete courses by 90 attempted hours.
  4. A minimum 2.0 overall Grade Point Average (GPA) and a 2.0 Policy 91 course average. This is the combined average of ACIS 1504, 2115-2116, BIT 2405-2406, ECON 2005-2006, and MATH 1525-1526 (or equivalents). This means you cannot earn all C- grades in these courses.

If you do not meet this criteria, you may not be eligible to remain in the Pamplin College of Business.  You will need to meet with your academic advisor in person to discuss your options.  Exceptions may be granted in the form of an “Alternate Plan.”  Please see your advisor if you have questions.

In the first semester of your junior year (60 earned credit hours), you must apply for your degree via the “Degree Menu” on HokieSpa. Once you apply for your degree (entering your term of graduation, major, and minor), you can request a degree audit (DARS) via the same menu.  You should review the DARS with your advisor at least once a semester until graduation.  Step by step instructions can be found on the Registrar’s website

DARS is short for Degree Audit Report System.  Before you can runs a DARS report, you must apply for your degree.  This is done in the first semester of the junior year (60 earned credit hours).  To apply for your degree, go to Hokie Spa and click on the “Degree Menu”.  Applying for your degree is simply entering when you plan to graduate with what major, option, and minor (if applicable).

After applying for your degree, you can request a DARS in the same degree menu.  Once you have the DARS, you should review it with your advisor.  It is important to request a new DARS at least once a semester or whenever something changes.

If you are not yet eligible to apply for your degree, you can run a “what if” DARS.  This is a hypothetical DARS based on any major you choose.  You can find the “what if” DARS in the same degree menu.

There are two major differences.  The dual degree requires you to complete 30 hours in addition to the hours required for the first major as well as any secondary degree requirements.  In Pamplin, this means you need to complete a minimum of 155 credits. A student completing a dual degree will receive two diplomas (one for each degree).  You can graduate with one of the majors, get your diploma for that major, and then complete the 30 hours and get the second diploma at a later time, or you may finish both degrees at the same time.  The last 30 hours must be completed in residence at Virginia Tech.

A double major means you have completed the requirements for two degrees, but you could do it with less than 30 additional hours.  The second major is noted on your transcript, but you only get one diploma (the first major listed). You receive a certificate for your second major.

In either case, you can list both majors on your resume.  Employers usually look at transcripts, not diplomas.

Your first step is to schedule an appointment with your academic advisor for advice tailored to your specific situation.

Before your appointment, check the Transfer Equivalency Database to see whether any courses have transferred from your home institution in the past. Regardless of whether a course is listed, submit an Authorization to Take Courses Elsewhere form to our office (1046 Pamplin) so we can confirm whether the course is equivalent (i.e., transferable). Submit a current syllabus for the equivalency review, unless the course is offered by a Virginia Community College System (VCCS) school.

Important:  Pamplin considers courses transferable if they were reviewed and approved within a 3-year window, the current academic year minus 2.  The Transfer Equivalency Database indicates whether a course has transferred in the past; it doesn’t indicate that the course is still transferable at the time of your request.  There are certain conditions under which transferable courses won’t transfer for a given student.  Students are responsible for knowing university and college policies on transfer credit.  Ask your advisor about this during your transfer credit advising session.

Please be aware that grades do not transfer, only credit hours. Also, you must earn a grade of C or better for the credits to transfer to VT.

This is probably a really quick fix.  Come to 1046 Pamplin Hall and we can check your record. It’s likely the credits have not been applied to your degree.  We will contact the Registrar to correct this problem.

Current ECON or HTM students who are not native to Pamplin will be subject to the competitive review process if they wish to change into ACIS, BIT, FIN, MGT, or MKTG.

Please go to the non-Pamplin student tab on the Change Major webpage for more information.

There are several ways to research majors.  Pamplin provides many opportunities throughout the year to network with employers and alumni.  They will answer questions about careers within their companies.  The Business Horizons career fair is a great way to see what companies hire our students and what those companies do.

You can also go to Career Services and take interest inventories and assessments.  Each department at Virginia Tech has a career advisor and they are listed in Career Services.

Finally, Pamplin has its own Career Services program. You may schedule an appointment (540-231-6602) to meet with a career advisor to discuss your options.

Deciding on a major is like completing a research project.  It takes time to make this kind of decision.  You will not need to declare your major until the end of sophomore year. However, university policy states that you must have a major declared at 72 hours.

No, you do not have to pursue a minor.  It is a student’s choice.  Once you decide on a minor, go to the departmental office for that minor.  You will be able to pick up the application form, complete it and turn it into the appropriate office.  Some minors require you to have certain courses, grades or hours completed before declaring/applying.  Requirements should be listed on the form, as well as the departmental website.  All applications for business minors are available in 1046 Pamplin Hall.  For all minors outside the College of Business, you will need to go to the department that houses the minor.

To see if a department offers a minor, the best place to look is the University Registrar’s website .

Not all majors have a minor.  For example, there are no minors in any business major, except Economics (through the College of Science). Finally, be sure to check the year when looking at websites and checksheets.  You need to be sure that you are looking at current information, as minors get added and dropped periodically, but old websites may still appear in your search

To ensure that Pamplin College of Business students continue to receive a state of the art education, the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors approved a supplemental $25.00 per credit hour fee, equal for resident and non-resident students, to be assessed to all classes delivered by the Pamplin College of Business, including off campus and online courses.

to all 1000 level business classes in fall 2013, and then be phased in yearly with 2000 level classes starting in fall 2014, 3000 level classes in fall 2015, and 4000 level classes in fall 2016.

The Pamplin College of Business is currently ranked in the top 10% of 450 AACSB-accredited undergraduate business programs in the United States. Among public institutions, Pamplin ranked 27th in the 2015 U.S. News & World Report of Undergraduate Business Programs and ranked 43 among national institutions. The costs associated with the delivery of a top-rated program are ever-increasing, especially in the area of acquiring highly qualified instructional faculty. The business fee is necessary to successfully compete with other business schools for the best students, the best faculty, and to advance Pamplin’s high standards.

Factors unique to individual students can impact the cost. The four year-average cost at the current rate is estimated to be approximately $1850 per student.