Guide to Graduation
Spring 2020 Commencement
- Thursday, May 14, 2020: Graduate School Commencement Ceremony, Cassell Coliseum, 2:30 p.m.
- Friday, May 15, 2020: University Commencement Ceremony, Lane Stadium, 8:30 a.m.
- Sunday, May 17, 2020: Graduate School Ceremony (Greater Washington, D.C., metro area), Center for the Arts, George Mason University, 1 p.m.
Friday, May 15, 3:30 p.m., Cassell Coliseum.
- Degree candidates should arrive on floor of Cassell through the Merryman Center entrance (not Washington Street) no later than 2:45 p.m. to be seated in proper order with the primary major department.
- Guests may enter after 2:30 p.m. through the Washington Street entrance or the parking lot doors.
- There is no limit to the number of guests students may bring to the ceremony. Tickets are not required.
- Reminder: Cassell is NOT air conditioned.
Rules and Information for the Pamplin Ceremony
- Attire - Academic robes over street clothes with professional, comfortable shoes. Very high heels have caused problems on carpet and steps. Caps and gowns may be purchased at the university bookstore.
- Pronunciation - If your name is difficult to pronounce, please provide a phonetic spelling to your department’s administrative staff.
- Honors Sash - Students graduating with distinction (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, cum laude) may purchase a white honors sash at the Bookstore.
- Double Majors/Dual Degrees – All degree candidates, including double major and dual degree students, will sit with their primary major on record and will cross the stage only once.
- No Rehearsal – There is no rehearsal for the university or Pamplin ceremonies. Simply show up on time and follow directions given to you by faculty and staff.
- No Alcohol - Arrive sober (your name will not be called and you will be asked to leave if under the influence).
- No Selfies - No selfies permitted on stage.
2020 Graduate Letter.pdf
PCoB Class of 2020 Commencement Powerpoint.pptx
Accessible Seating Instructions.pdf
2020 Family Letter.pdf