Our office works to help students develop professionally and to provide resources and opportunities to assist in their job search. We help students understand, navigate, and connect to the job market by analyzing data, cultivating relationships with employers, and sharing our knowledge with students.
Our office is responsible for the Pamplin job-placement rate, which is the highest placement rate of any college in the university. For the 2017-2018 academic year, 93% of Pamplin students who were seeking a job after graduation secured a position within their field.
Understand the Job Market
The Pamplin Career Services team has working relationships with many different employers, and each year the team makes over 75 onsite visits to employers for a time of information exchange and recruiting strategy discussion. These meetings help create new ideas for employer/student interaction, as well as inform our team of any new opportunities that can be shared with students.
The University’s Career and Professional Development Office produces its annual Post-Graduate survey results indicating salaries by major, placement rates, top employers, and other pertinent information. Please contact Jennifer Tortora for a one-page summary of this report.
Navigate the Job Market
The Pamplin Career Services team will set up several different types of events throughout the year to help students navigate the job market and prepare for their job search:
- Workshops – Pamplin Career Services, along with employer partners, will host a series of workshops throughout the semester for students to learn more about the job search process.
- Classroom presentations – Career services representatives will visit classrooms at the beginning of each semester, following Business Horizons, to communicate directly with students the upcoming events of the semester, and the opportunities and resources that are available.
- One on one advising sessions – We offer specialized one-on-one advising to all Pamplin students year round. E-mail email@example.com to schedule a one-on-one career advising appointment with Pamplin Career Services.
- Open office hours: We recognize that many students have questions but do not set up a full appointment with Career Services. We host open office hours at different times during the semester, where students are welcome to stop by for a quick career consultation. Connect to the Job Market
Connect to the Job Market
Opportunities for students to connect with employers, network, and learn directly about job opportunities:
- Business Horizons, the job fair organized by and for Pamplin students, is held on campus each fall and spring.
- “Company Days” in the Pamplin atrium also offer students and employers informal opportunities to meet throughout the semester and discuss jobs and internships.
- Information Sessions are informal opportunities for students to hear directly from recruiters and learn more about the company and the opportunities they have.
- Handshake at Virginia Tech is a free university job board for employers to post openings and students to apply for opportunities.
- The Pamplin Career Connect enewsletter, a weekly email sent every Sunday afternoon, shares employer messages about events, programs, and other opportunities hosted by Career Services.
- The Pamplin Podcast allows students and employers to connect in a digital environment about company information and hiring opportunities.
- Company treks each semester, give students a free opportunity to visit with employers at their offices to meet with recruiters and alumni, learn more about the company and its opportunities, and see firsthand what it feels like to work there.