The Pamplin Leadership Academy prepares students to excel in leadership positions through networking opportunities, mentorship, and a series of personal and professional growth seminars. This valuable resource is open to full-time Pamplin College of Business students.
Fulfill your vision for professional success and growth through participation in the Pamplin Leadership Academy. Apply for admission today to become a valued member within a network of competitive scholars and future business leaders.
Designed as a bridge between our one-day Pamplin Student Leadership Conference and the 18-credit Business Leadership Minor, the purpose of the Academy is to provide open access to leadership training for college students who want to gain new, or improve existing, skill sets. Leadership, Education, Action, and Development (LEAD) are the cornerstones to this vision; activities provide leadership and facilitator training, professional advising and networking, and community engagement.
Our objectives are for students to participate in:
- Quality leadership development experiences within the Pamplin College of Business.
- Tactical skills training to help students become more effective leaders.
- Hands-on projects to practice implementation of new leadership skills.
- Opportunities for personal growth and confidence building in a non-competitive service-learning environment.
- Six seminars focused on developing leadership competencies: holistic thinking, ethical reasoning, creativity and innovation, strategic thinking, critical analysis, and intercultural communication.
- Experiential Learning: design and lead a service project within our community.
- Job Shadowing: two day trips are planned to learn from leaders in the field.
- Students are expected to attend all six seminar days to receive their Leadership Academy Certificate:
- September 17
- October 15
- November 12
- February 18
- March 25
- April 15
We believe that learning leadership and interpersonal communication skills are just as important as the technical skills you learn as a Pamplin student. At the Leadership Academy, we’ll help you develop and apply those skills to prepare you for a successful and fulfilling career.
Admission to the Pamplin Leadership Academy is competitive, requiring answering several short essay questions, submitting a faculty nomination or letter of support, and completing a short interview with Business Leadership Center staff. Individual nominees are selected based on their demonstration of capability, commitment, and capacity to grow as evident by engagement in their academic program; contributing to the mission and vision of Virginia Tech and the Pamplin College of Business; seeking opportunities to learn; acting with integrity; exhibiting willingness to stretch and grow; treating others with respect; and willingness to develop their leadership competencies. All Pamplin students who will be full-time students in 2020-2021 and who show high potential are eligible to apply. GPA will be considered, however it will not be the deciding factor.
Admission to the Pamplin Leadership Academy is competitive. Therefore, we require the following:
- Several short essay questions
- A faculty nomination or letter of support
- A short interview with Business Leadership Staff
We select students who demonstrate capability, integrity, respect, commitment, leadership competency, and capacity to grow as evident by engagement in their academic program, the Pamplin College of Business, and Virginia Tech.
All Pamplin students who will be full-time students in 2020-2021 and who show high potential are eligible to apply. GPA will be considered; however it will not be the deciding factor.
If you have an additional question about the Pamplin Leadership Academy, we would like to answer it. Please contact us using the “Get in Touch” button and we will answer any additional questions you may have!